Every family should consider becoming more prepared in case of a serious crisis that could happen to them. The very first essential item to store is water. Here is the first of several lists of important information to make note of. The Homeland Security in the United States recommends 7 days of supplies to be safe.
1. How much water should I store? Water supplies should last at least 7 days, at one gallon per day per person.
2. In what kind of containers? There are health questions being raised about water that is stored in plastic containers so store water in glass if possible.
3. Rain water can be used, so store big containers for catching rainwater during rainy days.
4. Do I need to worry about contamination in the water? You will need a good supply of water purification tablets or bleach, or plan to boil your water. The surest way to purify water is to boil it for 15 to 20 minutes. Boil water for 15 minutes to be safe as this will kill Cryptospiridium.
5. What about long term needs? It is wise to purchase a portable water filtration system and learn how to use it weekly. This will ensure for any long term pure water needs. This is a wise purchase for a family.